A lot happens every minute online. People are checking emails, sending text messages, buying something for their home, watching TikTok videos, and much, much more.
And, in the last year, the time we’ve spent online has only increased. In fact, online content consumption nearly doubled in 2020 when compared to 2019.
We wanted to understand what happens every minute on the internet to get a sense of where you your business needs to be in order to get in front of today’s busy (and distracted) consumers. Let me just tell you: it was overwhelming.
So, we put together this handy infographic to give you an idea of what exactly what happens in an internet minute.
We’re sharing all our 2021 internet minutes stats plus some other online marketing statistics small business owners need to know.
Social Media Statistics You Need to Know
We know that people love social media. They’re scrolling through their feeds, Snapchatting their friends, and uploading their own Insta images, which means social media is a powerful marketing channel you can’t ignore.
Here are some important statistics that show just how much social media usage happens in an internet minute.
Instagram is one of the most popular social networks in the US with 112 million monthly active users. Consider these Instagram stats:
- 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram each day. That translates to 65,972 each minute!
- Instagram isn’t just for liking pictures – it’s for shopping and discovering new businesses, too. 180 million users tap on Instagram shopping posts each month.
- The average user spends 30 minutes per day on Instagram.
- 81% of people use Instagram to research products and services.
- 50% of people have visited a website to make a purchase after seeing it on Instagram.
- Facebook users are still incredibly active with 510,000 comments posted, 293,000 statuses updated, and 240,000 photos uploaded every minute.
- 9 million Facebook messages are sent every minute.
- Users spend an average of 34 minutes every day on Facebook.
- Searches for and clicks on local businesses increased by over 30% on Facebook in 2020.
- Facebook users click on an average of 12 ads every month.
Whether you’re a B2B business trying to generate leads or a small business owner looking for grow your personal and professional brand, LinkedIn is a great channel to make connections and build your network. Take a look at these LinkedIn statistics:
- LinkedIn has 303 million active users per month, 40% of which visit it daily.
- LinkedIn is the most trusted social network in the US.
- 40 million people turn to LinkedIn to look for jobs every month. (Recruitment marketers – this one’s for you!)
- Employees are 14x more likely to share content from their employers on LinkedIn than any other type of content.
- LinkedIn ads can boost purchase intent by over 30%.
- 80% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn Ads.
- Businesses that post on LinkedIn each week get a 2x higher engagement rate than those that don’t.
Are you using Twitter as part of your social media marketing strategy? Twitter has a wide audience – 353 million users – you have the potential to reach and engage with. Consider these Twitter stats:
- 350,000 Tweets are sent every minute – 7,000 of those are about TV or movies.
- Video views on Twitter increased 62% from 2019 to 2020.
- Nearly 10% of Americans significantly increased their time on Twitter in 2020.
- The majority – over 80% — of B2B businesses use Twitter for organic social media marketing.
- Engagement with Twitter ads increased nearly 30% in 2020.
- People on Twitter love to tweet about cooking! Cooking-related tweets increased 300% in 2020.
Pinterest is still popular, with 300 million active users, 85% of which access the site via their mobile device. Take a look at these other Pinterest stats:
- There are more than 2 billion monthly searches on Pinterest.
- A lot of those searches are product or shopping-related: 95% of Pinners have used Pinterest to plan for or make a purchase.
- 52% of Pinterest users have seen something on Pinterest and made a purchase online.
- Two million people pin product-rich pins every day.
Snapchat continues to be a crucial place to reach and engage with millennials and Gen Z, especially with Snapchat advertising. In fact, Snapchat can reach 90% of 13 to 24-year-olds. Consider these Snapchat statistics:
- There are 265 million active daily users on Snapchat, and 3 billion Snaps are created daily worldwide.
- The average Snapchatters spends 30 minutes per day on the app.
- Snapchat is the second-most visited social platform in the US.
- Snapchat users are more likely to make purchases from their mobile devices than non-Snapchat users.
- Snapchatters are 60% more likely to make impulse purchases.
- 35% of Snapchat users will send snaps to their friends about products they want to buy.
TikTok had a big year in 2021 with growth that amounts to 700 million active monthly users – and, TikTok is expected to surpass 1 billion users this year. Here are some more TikTok stats to check out:
- More than 1 billion videos are viewed on TikTok every day.
- The average TikTok user spends 52 minutes per day on the app, but it’s much higher for younger users. Users 15 and under spend up to 80 minutes on the app every day.
- TikTok has been downloaded over 2 billion times and was the second-most downloaded app in 2020.
- TikTok has the highest engagement rate per post across social media sites.
- 37% of US TikTok users have a household income of over $100k.
Online & Mobile Search Statistics
A lot happens in the world of search in an internet minute. Here are a few online and mobile search statistics that illustrate what’s happening every minute online.
- 2 million searches happen on Google every minute!
- Up to 70% of web traffic happens on a mobile device.
- 46% of all searches that happen on Google have local intent.
- Between 2015 and 2017, “near me” mobile searches grew 500%.
- 84% of people use Google at least three times a day.
- 78% of all local searches on a mobile device led to a purchase within 24 hours.
- 81% of people searched online for a product or service specifically to make a purchase.
- There was a 100% increase in searches for “available near me” from 2019 to 2020.
Streaming Video Statistics
2020 was a big year for video, which had already been experiencing rapid growth. Here are some video statistics that show just how much streaming we do in an internet minute.
- More than 117 million subscribers watch an average of 140 million hours of content on Netflix every day.
- There are nearly 40 million US Hulu subscribers and 2 million Hulu+ Live TV subscribers.
- There are over 100 million Prime Video users.
- Streaming services account for nearly 20% of TV viewing in the US.
- People spent an average of over one hour on streaming services every day in 2020, which is double the time spent in 2019!
While YouTube is technically video, it deserves its own category because people are spending a ton of time consuming content on this site. Here are some YouTube statistics that show just how much happens here in an internet minute:
- 2 billion people are logged in to YouTube each month.
- 74% of US adults use YouTube.
- YouTube is the world’s second-most visited website (behind its parent company, Google).
- People watch more than one billion hours of YouTube videos every day!
- More than 70% of the time spent watching videos on YouTube is on mobile.
- Livestreams on YouTube increased 45% in 2020.
- 70% of people made a purchase from a business after seeing them on YouTube.
- 90% of people say they find new brands or businesses through YouTube.
Online & Mobile Communication Statistics
And what about the other things people are doing on their phones? Like texting, emailing, and more? Here are some illuminating stats that illustrate the online and mobile communications happening in an internet minute.
- 2 million texts are sent every minute.
- 6 billion emails are sent and received each day – it’s estimated that 128.8 billion of those are business emails.
- More than 65 million WhatsApp messages are sent through the app daily.
- 550 million GroupMe messages are sent each month.
Mobile App Statistics
Millions of apps are downloaded every minute online – and app usage only grew in 2020 as people were spending more time at home on their smartphones.
- It’s projected that there will be 2 billion app downloads in 2023.
- The projected revenue for those app downloads is $188.9 billion.
- 37% of Apple app downloads are for gaming apps.
- 20% of millennials open an app at least 50 times a day.
Online Shopping Statistics
I don’t know about you, but a lot of my time online in 2020 was spent online shopping for things as mundane as groceries to items as exciting(ish) as home workout equipment. Here’s how the world spends an internet minute online shopping.
- $4,722 is spent every SECOND on Amazon.
- More than 6 million people are shopping online every minute.
- More than 75% of people use a mobile device along with in-store shopping.
- 67% of people used a shopping app in 2020.
Is Your Business Showing Up in an Internet Minute?
As these online statistics illustrate, people are spending exorbitant amounts of time engaging with their networks and businesses, searching for products and services, and consuming content online. Getting your business in front of consumers in these places is more important now than ever and can be the difference between a successful marketing plan that contributes to growth and one that simply keeps your business in survival mode.