Despite email subject lines being the shortest portion of your email copywriting, creating the perfect one can often feel both challenging and time-consuming.
Don’t let your valuable time get caught up in a tiny email subject line! Today, we’ll reveal how to create the perfect subject line for all your August email marketing campaigns, plus we’re answering questions like:
- Why should I run an email marketing campaign in August?
- What are some subject line best practices to consider?
- What should I put as the subject in my August emails?
With this post under your belt, you’ll have the tools you need to finish summer strong with August email subject line ideas to last the whole month.
Why run email marketing campaigns in August?
Email marketing is a perfect marketing strategy to run year-round. However, August is a great time to capitalize on email marketing because consumers aren’t yet busy with fall and winter distractions like the holidays, but they are starting to think about them.
Here are some ideas for your August email marketing campaigns:
- Promote a back-to-school sale or promotion
- Let customers know about your upcoming Labor Day hours
- Educate customers about how to prepare their lawn for cooler temps
- Share end-of-season sales
- Tell customers about your new loyalty program
While you don’t need a specific reason to send email marketing campaigns, having a goal in mind for your email can help you craft the best subject line.
August email subject line tips to keep in mind
1. Be concise
The most important thing to know when writing email subject lines this August or any time of the year is that you need to be concise. It’s no secret that email subject lines are short, but some underestimate just how short they should be. Especially with the rise of mobile usage with over 40% of consumers now opening emails on mobile devices.
Ideally, a good email subject line is around 30 characters long. Since your email subject line is your recipient’s “first impression” of what they’re about to open, you don’t want your email to get cut off in the preview. Check out this full list below of max characters you’d need to cut down to in order to have your full subject line show in the inbox preview screen.
2. Maintain brand consistency
While using August email subject line ideas for end-of-summer inspiration is key, it’s also important to note that your business should make tweaks to keep your subject lines original and true to your brand.
This brand’s personality shines through in its email copy.
3. Consider your goals
Tightly aligning your email subject lines to your brand means you’ll also want to be working towards your key KPIs with each email. Be sure your August email subject lines correlate with your business’s goals and objectives.
For example, if you want to appeal to a specific target market, you might try segmenting your email list for a more personalized experience. Alternatively, if you were trying to increase traffic to your website, you’d want to have a clear call-to-action within each subject line.
Related: Download our quick guide on targeted email marketing to learn how to crush your business goals with email.
This goal-oriented email subject line is clear in the action it wants recipients to take.
4. Avoid spam triggers
Your August emails will only be effective if they actually show in inboxes! Avoid getting pushed into spam by steering clear of any spam trigger words. To start, save our handy image below to take note of which terms your business shouldn’t use in your August email subject lines:
August email subject line ideas
Use these August email subject line ideas for any occasion!
Sales subject lines for August
Whether you’re a small boutique, a car dealer, or any other type of business that sells products, these revenue-boosting email subject line ideas should help you to finish the summer season on a high note.
- Care for a Free Sample? Stop By Sal’s Pastry
- Summer’s Ending but Our Sale Is Just Getting Started
- New school year means new wheels
- Fall is Coming Fast! Buy Now
- Hot Summer Offer Valid Until 8/31/22
- $5 discount instantly on all August buys
- Last minute August summer sale: up to 15% Off
- End of Summer Supply Sale
- Get Ready! Our Annual August Sale is Starting Up
- TTYL Summer 👋 Hello August Sales!
- Calling All August Shoppers! Our Sale is Here
August email subject line ideas to promote your services
Whether you’re a local plumber, stylist, or any other business that offers a service to your customers, you need to have your email subject lines display the value of your business.
We did some brainstorming, and here are some of our favorite email subject lines for small businesses that offer services:
- Grab Your Sunglasses 😎 Sparkling Homes with Maids-to-Go
- Family Back to School Cuts at Sam’s Salon
- You Don’t Have to Do That Remodel Alone…
- Let Us Help You!
- Signs You Could Have an Infestation from Pete’s Pests
- Grab Your Sunglasses! Sparkling Homes with Maids-to-Go
- Don’t Cause a Stink! Come By Luke’s Laundry
- Doesn’t Fit? Call Tyngsboro Tailors
- Back To School Refresh at Belham’s Interiors
- Cold is Coming, Are Your Gutters Ready?
- Don’t Be Left Without Heat This Winter
- Sick of Cold Showers? Pat’s Plumbing Can Help
- Preorder Homecoming Corsages at Fun Florals
- Labor Day Landscaping Just in Time!
- 5 Ways Our Service Helps You
- Be Our Guest! Back to School Catering Specials
Email subject lines for August holidays
Regardless of what industry you’re in, we can see from the image above that seasonal messaging gives your email interaction a boost. Try out these email subject line ideas to increase your engagement and give your business an edge this August:
- Cindy, Celebrate Black Business Month with Us! (Black Business Month, August 1-31)
- Cute dog pics incoming 🐶 (National Dog Month, August 1-31)
- R-YES-V-P to FUN 🎉 for the whole family ❤ (Family Fun Month, August 1-31)
- You’ve Got a Friend in Me (Friendship Day, August 1)
- A Gift for Her (National Girlfriends Day, August 1)
- A Treat on Us (National Ice Cream Sandwich Day, August 2)
- We Work Hard So You Don’t Have To (Work Like a Dog Day, August 5)
- Come Down to Josie’s Grill for a Cold One (International Beer Day, August 6)
- Eggs, Bacon, Yum! Brunch at Smith Café (International Hangover Day, August 7)
- Join Us at Our Annual August Webinar! (Professional Speakers Day, August 7)
- Mel, a gift for you + one for your sis (National Sister Day, August 7)
- What’s Your Favorite Book? (Book Lover’s Day, August 9)
- We’re taking it easy… (Lazy Day, August 10)
- At Gilford Roofing, You’re Family! (Son and Daughter Day, August 11)
- Ice Cream Party at Cityside Auto (National Creamsicle Day, August 14)
- Complimentary Yoga Class at FitGym Co. (Relaxation Day, August 15)
- A Coupon Contest That Will Make You Smile (National Tell a Joke Day, August 16)
- Affordable & Sustainable: Only at Saver’s (National Thriftshop Day, August 17)
- A Haiku For You (Bad Poetry Day, August 18)
- A Recipe from the Jen’s Jewelry Family to Yours (National Potato Day, August 19)
- Need Bug Spray? Visit Malden Hardware (World Mosquito Day, August 20)
- Open House Special Event at Sunside Senior Living (Senior Citizen’s Day, August 21)
- The Tooth Fairy Stopped by Demi Dental (Tooth Fairy Day, August 22)
- Burgers 🍔 or dogs🌭? Let’s settle the debate… (National Burger Day, August 25)
- What we’re doing in honor of Women’s Equality Day (Women’s Equality Day, August 26)
- A Hello from Stoneham Kitchen & Bath, Just Because… (Just Because Day, August 27)
- Hold the Salt, Add Some Fresh Local Herbs! (More Herbs, Less Salt Day; August 29)
- Rockport Contracting Family Picnic (National Eat Outside Day, August 31)
An example of a small business’s email for Women’s Equality Day.
August newsletter email subject line ideas
Check out these newsletter email subject line ideas for August:
- The Only Back to School Shopping List You Need
- 5 Tips When Shopping this August
- Brandon, fall into our fall favorites
- 3 Ways Our Product Helps You
- Our Annual August Rundown
- A guide to wrap up the summer right
Even more email subject line ideas for August
Want some more August email subject line inspiration? We’ve got you covered!
- Meet Your New Local Grocer
- Knock! Knock! Susie’s Beauty Supply Moved in Next Door
- The Only Back to School Shopping List You Need
- 5 Tips When Buying Shoes
- Find What You’re Looking For?
- Fall Into Our Fall Favorites
- Julissa, How Our Product Helps You this August
- Hello from [your business]
- Fall is coming at you fast: how to keep up
- I.P. Summer 😢
- Summer’s not over yet…😉
Fall into these August email subject line ideas
Fall is right around the corner, so you want to get the most out of your summer email marketing strategy before the season’s over! Remember, your email is one out of probably dozens or more your potential customers get in their inboxes every day. So, don’t spend too much time overthinking it. If your email subject line aligns with the goal for your email and you have fun with it, then it’s sure to be a hit!