Depending on what part of the country you’re in, March 17, also known as St. Patrick’s Day, could either be a huge deal filled with parades, drink specials, and green bodies of water, or just another casually-observed holiday.
Whether people in your area are super into St. Patrick’s Day or not, there’s never a bad reason to engage your customers and find new ways to get in front of a new audience.
And you’re in luck because I’m sharing everything you need to make your St. Patrick’s Day marketing a success.
Table of contents
- St. Patrick’s Day marketing ideas
- St. Patrick’s Day promotions
- St. Patrick’s Day email subject lines
St. Patrick’s Day marketing ideas
St. Patrick’s Day was first observed in the 9th or 10th century as a way to commemorate Christianity coming to Ireland but has since evolved into more of a celebration of Irish culture and heritage open to anyone. Meaning it’s a great day to use these St. Patrick’s Day marketing ideas to keep your audience engaged (and entertained!).
Go green for St. Patrick’s Day
While the focus is typically on wearing, eating, and drinking green items on St. Patrick’s Day, you can look at it a different way: Going “green” or eco-friendly throughout March in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. You could host a highway cleanup and invite your customers, share how your business supports eco-friendly efforts, or run a “bring your own bag” special where customers get a discount if they bring in a reusable bag instead of using a new, plastic bag.
💡 Speaking of ideas…Get marketing, promotion, and social post ideas for every month of the year >> The Mega Must-Have Marketing Calendar
Decorate your storefront
If your business has a storefront, you can get in on the St. Patrick’s Day spirit by decorating for the holiday. Find green items from your store to display at the front, bring in some shamrocks, and hang some green streamers for a quick and easy display that attracts passersby and creates a positive in-store experience throughout the month.
Host a St. Patrick’s Day gathering
Another way you can bring people into your business on or around St. Patrick’s Day is to host a little gathering. You could offer light snacks and drinks as well as a small discount to customers who shop with you throughout the day. During your gathering, you can also play Irish music or invite a local band to perform.
This brewery partnered with a dog rescue for a St. Patrick’s Day party.
Send a St. Patrick’s Day marketing email
Whether you’re hosting an event, running a special promotion, or simply wishing your customers a Happy St. Patrick’s Day, email marketing can help you get the word out and stay top of mind.
Send your customers regular emails throughout the month to let them know how your business is observing St. Patrick’s Day (and how they can get in on the fun!).
Use these March email subject line ideas for inspiration! Or keep scrolling for some St. Patrick’s Day email subject lines.
Create St. Patrick’s Day blog content
If your business has a blog or content marketing efforts, you can create content around St. Patrick’s Day to educate and inspire your audience.
Here are some examples:
- Health and wellness businesses: Share healthy St. Patrick’s Day recipes.
- Hospitality: Share the top places to visit in Ireland.
- Education: Share St. Patrick’s Day crafts or educational resources for kids.
Think about how you can tie what your audience is interested in to what you offer and how that can relate to this holiday as part of your marketing.
Once you’ve created this content, you can promote it on your social media pages or through your email marketing.
Get more March content ideas from our friends at WordStream.
Sponsor a St. Patrick’s Day parade or event
Another St. Patrick’s Day marketing idea to try this year is sponsoring a parade or event. This can help you get out in front of your local community while also lending support (and having a bit o’ fun!). Reach out to your local chamber of commerce to see what events are coming up or check your city page to find out how you can get involved.
Use St. Patrick’s Day hashtags on social media
Get 50+ St. Patrick’s Day Instagram captions to make planning your posts even easier.
St. Patrick’s Day promotion ideas
Now that we’ve covered some general St. Patrick’s Day marketing ideas, here are some St. Patrick’s Day promotions that you can use to entice your customers.
Run a “wear green” special promotion
Everyone knows that you’re supposed to wear green on St. Patrick’s Day or you risk getting pinched. Instead of punishing customers who don’t wear green with a pinch, reward those who do wear green with a special discount. Have them come in wearing their St. Patrick’s Day best to get a special discount (it could even be a festive amount, like 17% off!).
🌱 Download our free, editable growth strategy template to walk through seven simple steps for creating the right plan to grow your business.
Create a St. Patrick’s Day limited-time offer or item
Limited-time offers or items can create a sense of urgency that entices customers to make a move quickly. By offering specific products or promotions for a limited time around St. Patrick’s Day, you can increase the chances that people will want to take advantage. An example of a St. Patrick’s Day limited-time offer could be a bundle of green items, a special service add-on, or a seasonal product offering.
Krispy Kreme offers green donuts for St. Patrick’s Day.
Run a St. Patrick’s Day social media contest
Let luck be on your customers’ side by running a St. Patrick’s Day social media contest. Facebook giveaways and Instagram contests are great ways to get new followers and increase engagement, and they also tie in really easily to holidays.
You can have your followers:
- Tag your business location or just your business in a picture (maybe wearing green for St. Patrick’s Day!)
- Like one of your posts and tag friends to enter the contest
- Comment their favorite thing about St. Patrick’s Day on one of your posts
Make sure to clearly outline the terms of your contest, including how to enter, how you’ll select a winner, and when/how the winner will be announced. You can run the contest throughout the month of March or just up until St. Patrick’s Day.
🍀 It’s your lucky day… Download our March social media calendar for copy-and-paste social posts for (almost) every day of the month!
St. Patrick’s Day email subject lines
Use these St. Patrick’s Day email subject lines to bring the luck of the Irish to your campaigns.
- Save some green with our St. Patrick’s Day sale 💰
- [Name], you’re in luck: Buy one, get one happening NOW
- There’s something sweet at the end of this rainbow 🌈
- [Name], try your luck 🍀
- Get it before it’s gone! St. Patrick’s Day [item/product/service]
- Book before your luck runs out 🍀
- It’s your lucky day: Shop our St. Patrick’s Day sale!
- Better than a pot of gold…
- Consider this your lucky charm 🍀
- [Name], thanks for being our lucky charm
- Don’t miss our St. Paddy’s party!
- Get shamrocked at our St. Paddy’s bash 🍻
- St. Patrick’s Day recipe ideas to try
- [Name], a St. Patrick’s Day treat from us to you!
- 5 Things to Do on St. Patrick’s Day in [City]
- The best St. Patrick’s Day breweries in [City]
- [Name], get 17% off everything!
✏️ Want more subject line inspo? Get our free guide >> Email subject lines for every occasion!
Make St. Patrick’s Day marketing your good luck charm
Like any holiday, St. Patrick’s Day is a great opportunity to keep your marketing fresh and find fun ways to connect with your audience. Using these St. Patrick’s Day marketing ideas, promotions, and email subject lines, you can get your business lucky with a new pot of customers.
Here’s a roundup of the best St. Patrick’s Day marketing and promotion ideas:
- Go green for St. Patrick’s Day
- Decorate your storefront
- Host a St. Patrick’s Day gathering
- Send a St. Patrick’s Day marketing email
- Create St. Patrick’s Day blog content
- Sponsor a St. Patrick’s Day parade or event
- Use St. Patrick’s Day hashtags on social media
- Run a “wear green” special promotion
- Create a St. Patrick’s Day limited-time offer or item
- Run a St. Patrick’s Day social media contest
- Use the right St. Patrick’s Day email subject lines