No surprise, but November is packed with holidays and observances. You’ve got Thanksgiving, the beginning of Hannukah, and so much more to celebrate (hello, World Television Day!). So to help you stuff your social media calendar fuller than your turkey will be stuffed this Thanksgiving, we’re sharing:
- Tips for your November social media plan
- November social media holidays you can create posts for
- More November social media ideas to try
PS: Download our 2021 marketing planning guide packed with social media ideas for every month of the year.
Tips for your November social media calendar
Before we dive into November social media holidays, here are some general tips and ideas that can help you plan your calendar this month.
Research the right hashtags for your posts
Hashtags can give your social media posts a big boost. In fact, Instagram posts with hashtags get an average of 12% more engagement than those without hashtags. Do a little research to identify the right hashtags to use in your social media posts. You can choose hashtags related to your business, your location, trending topics, or your industry.
Engage with other local businesses on social
Show businesses in your area some love by following their pages and engaging with them this month. This not only shows that you care about and support other local businesses in your community but might also give you some good ideas for your own pages!
Schedule social media posts for the rest of the year
Using these ideas and tips, you can schedule social media posts through November and get started in December so when the last month of the year hits, you’re not rushing to get posts on your calendar. You can use a free social media post scheduling tool like Later, Hootsuite, or Buffer.
November social media holidays with ideas (and examples)
Here are the top November social media holidays to help you fill your calendar—with ideas and examples for each.
National Gratitude Month
With Thanksgiving coming up, people are already starting to think about what they’re thankful for, which makes National Gratitude Month an excellent observance to celebrate on social media. Here are some ways you can incorporate National Gratitude Month into your November social media calendar:
- Ask your employees what they’re grateful for and share their quote with a picture or a short video of them answering the question.
- Ask your customers what they’re grateful for and put the answers into a word cloud generator you can share to your social media pages.
- Create a gratitude wall in your location and promote it on social media. Then share pictures of people adding to the wall along with their answers.
- Start a #thankfulthursday series and post something you or your business is grateful for each Thursday.
- Run a Facebook contest or Instagram giveaway and have your followers nominate someone they’re grateful for either by tagging the person or sharing their own post featuring the person and tagging your business. Randomly select a winner and post it on your social sites.
Movember and No Shave November
November is also Movember, which is an observance focused on raising awareness for men’s health issues including prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health and awareness. You may have heard of No Shave November, which is another way people raise awareness for men’s health in November. Here are some ways you can incorporate Movember or No Shave November into your social media calendar:
- If your employees are willing to participate in No Shave November, feature pictures of their progress throughout the month. (Then on December 1, you can share a video of them shaving!)
- Share facts and stats about men’s health throughout the month—this could be a good fit for healthcare businesses or businesses with primarily male clientele like a barbershop.
- Run a best mustache contest on social media. Ask your followers to share a picture of their mustache and tag your business. Choose a winner at random to win a prize.
Healthy Lifestyles Month
It seems counterintuitive that Healthy Lifestyles Month and Thanksgiving—a holiday (let’s face it) known for food—would be in the same month. But here we are. Healthy Lifestyles Month is a great November social media holiday that pretty much any business can take advantage of in some form or fashion. Here are some ideas.
- Challenge your followers to a month-long health challenge on social media and post about your own journey on your social media pages. This could be a short walking challenge, a challenge to eat more veggies, or a challenge to try a new workout routine. Share resources throughout the month as well.
- Share healthy recipes or healthy Thanksgiving recipes to your social media pages.
- Share your favorite local walking trails or areas to get out and exercise. Tag the location in your post on Instagram and Facebook.
- Ask your followers to share their favorite healthy lifestyle tips or recipes.
Nov 1: National Authors Day
National Authors Day happens on November 1 and is a great social media holiday for businesses. There are a lot of ways to highlight National Authors Day on social media. Here are some ideas:
- Share a quote or quotes from your favorite author.
- Crowdsource favorite authors or books from your customers and employees and share in a social post or to your blog that you can promote on social media.
- Bookstores and libraries: Share pictures of your author displays, favorite books, or people enjoying reading at your location.
Nov 11: Veterans Day
Veterans Day is a federal holiday observed on November 11 to honor military veterans. This is a great day for your business to support those who have served by sharing on social media.
- If you offer any military or veterans discounts or are running a promotion for veterans, make sure to share about it on social media.
- Share a simple post thanking veterans for their service.
- Highlight any employees you have who have served and thank them for their service.
Nov 13: World Kindness Day
World Kindness Day is a day to share and celebrate kindness. This fun November social media holiday also presents a number of ideas you can use to make your customers and followers smile:
- Share an image created for World Kindness Day created by the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation.
- Share ideas for how to celebrate World Kindness Day, like smiling at a stranger, sending a nice text to a friend or family member, or paying for a stranger’s coffee.
- Randomly choose a few social media followers to win a small gift card or discount as a random act of kindness and share about it on social media.
Nov 16: National Entrepreneurs Day
As a business owner, this day is for you! And not to toot your own horn, but there are some great ways you can celebrate this special November social media holiday:
- Share your story on social media. Why did your start your business and how? People love to connect with businesses that have a story, and this is a great day to tell yours!
- Shout out your other favorite local entrepreneurs by highlighting their businesses on your social media pages.
- Share your best tips and advice for entrepreneurs or share a quote from an entrepreneur you admire.
Nov 25: Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is one November social media holiday you can’t miss, and it presents its own set of social media ideas. Here are a few to get you started:
- Share a simple post thanking your customers and supporters.
- Share a nice image wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
- Post about your updated hours of operation if you’re closed for Thanksgiving.
- Ask your followers to share their favorite Thanksgiving traditions or recipes.
- Share a post showing how thankful you are for your employees.
- If you’re holding a Thanksgiving event for employees, make sure to share pictures on social media.
Nov 26: Black Friday
If you’re in retail, you know Black Friday is a big deal, and even if you’re not, you can get in on the action on social media.
- Round up the best local Black Friday sales and promotions and share them on your social media pages.
- Share funny images or gifs highlighting Black Friday.
- Ask your fans and followers what they’re shopping for on Black Friday.
- Tease your Black Friday specials on social media.
Nov 27: Small Business Saturday
Small Business Saturday presents a huge opportunity for local businesses to capitalize on the holiday shopping season. You can take advantage of this November holiday on social media using these ideas:
- Use the custom image creator from American Express to create and share social media posts about your involvement in Small Business Saturday.
- Promote any deals, promotions, or events you’re holding in honor of Small Business Saturday.
- Tease a special promotion code that you’ll announce on social media on Small Business Saturday and then post it that morning for people to use all weekend.
Nov 28: Hannukah Begins
Hannukah begins at sundown on November 28 and ends at sundown on December 6. Use these social media ideas to celebrate:
- Wish those celebrating a Happy Hannukah.
- Share a Hannukah gift guide on social media.
- Run an 8 Days of Hannukah contest and share on social media.
- Use Hannukah hashtags.
Additional social media holidays
Here are some more holidays and observances you can incorporate into your November social media planning:
- Gluten-Free Diet Awareness Month
- Adopt a Senior Pet Month
- Lung Cancer Awareness Month
- National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month
- National Native American Heritage Month
- Nov 3: National Sandwich Day
- Nov 4: National Candy Day
- Nov 5: National Donut Day
- Nov 6: National Healthy Eating Day
- Nov 8: National Cappuccino Day
- Nov 14: World Diabetes Day
- Nov 14: International Selfie Day
- Nov 15: America Recycles Day
- Nov 16: National Fast Food Day
- Nov 17: National Take a Hike Day
- Nov 18: World Philosophy Day
- Nov 19: International Men’s Day
- Nov 20: Family Volunteer Day
- Nov 20: International Children’s Day
- Nov 21: World Television Day
- Nov 21: Pumpkin Pie Day
- Nov 24: National Jukebox Day
- Nov 26: National Cake Day
- Nov 29: National Greeting Card Day
- Nov 29: Cyber Monday
- Nov 30: Giving Tuesday
Even more November social media ideas to try
You don’t have to rely on holidays and observances alone for your November social media. Here are some additional ideas to test this month.
Share your holiday décor
Whether you’ve already decked out your store for the winter holidays or are adding some Thanksgiving flair, you can get your social media audience in the holiday spirit by showing off your location.
Share pictures of your location decorated for the holidays, any November holiday-related store signage you have, and any related items people can grab when they stop by.
Show the lighter side of your business
Social media is meant to be fun, and people like to engage with social posts that make them smile. You can use social media to show the lighter side of your business by sharing something fun or funny or by giving a behind-the-scenes look at your day-to-day. Showing your lighter side might even include highlighting one of the social media holidays we shared like National Donut Day or National Greeting Card Day.
Get in on Instagram Reels
Videos are the future of Instagram, so if you haven’t jumped on the Instagram Reel bandwagon, now is the time to start! Here are some ideas for an Instagram Reel for your business:
- Create a fun video highlighting any promotions or specials you’re running.
- Get in on the latest Reel trend and tailor it to your business.
- Create a quick Q&A.
Be thankful for November social media holidays
A packed holiday calendar means ample opportunity for your social media calendar. By building your social media marketing strategy around November social media holidays and observances, you can engage your audience in a timely way and stay top-of-mind into the busy winter holiday season.