Planning your marketing for the whole year can feel daunting. But, creating a marketing calendar can help you organize your planning and stay on track to meet your goals.
Whether you’re feeling stuck when it comes to creative marketing ideas, you’re not sure where to start, or you just want a few tips to round out your marketing plan, we’ve got you covered.
In this post, we’ll be sharing:
- Monthly marketing calendar templates
- Marketing promotion ideas to make each month a success
- Social post ideas for each month
We’ll also be sharing relevant hashtags to keep you #trending all year long.
Let’s get started.
But, first: Want to get this sent to your inbox along with trends and even more hashtags, ideas, and email subject lines? Download our 2023 marketing calendar guide here!
Table of contents
Looking for a specific month? Click below to skip to where you want to go!
In the first month of the year, make a splash with these ideas by adding them to your 2023 marketing calendar.
January marketing and promotion ideas
- Run a 23% off sale to celebrate the year 2023.
- Make New Year’s resolutions for your business, and if applicable, share them with your customers on social media or through email marketing. (Get more New Year’s social media post ideas here!)
- Host or attend a blood drive as a company–January is National Blood Drive Month.
- Write a holiday or year-end round-up post for your company blog or social sites–include pictures of how you and your team celebrated.
- Check on your local PPC ads to make sure you’re bidding for the right keywords to start off 2023 strong. (Or get started running local PPC if you’re not already!)
January social media calendar ideas
Here are some key January social media holidays and observances plus January hashtags to incorporate into your 2023 social media marketing calendar.
Jan 13: Make Your Dream Come True Day
Share how you or one of your team members has had a dream come true – whether it’s a goal you reached, a milestone you celebrated, or a trip to Disneyland! Ask your audience what dream they want to come true this year. #dreamcometrue
Jan 16: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Celebrate this day by sharing your favorite Martin Luther King Jr. quote and asking your audience to share theirs. #MLKDay
Jan 19: Get to Know Your Customers Day
What are your customers really like and what do they like? Ask them! Engage with the people who love your business best. #gettoknowyourcustomersday
Get a full list of 400+ social media holidays for every month of the year here!
Don’t skimp out on the shortest month of the year. There are still plenty of observances and opportunities for your business to celebrate as part of your 2023 marketing plan.
February marketing calendar ideas
- Run a Valentine’s Day sale or promotion to show your customers how much you love them.
- Send your customers your Valentine’s Day promotion over email so they get a little love in their inboxes. (We put together 100+ February email subject lines you can use!)
- To celebrate Black History Month, share your favorite quotes from Black leaders or historical figures on social media and ask your audience to share theirs.
- February is also Heart Disease Awareness month, so share resources on your social sites to educate your audience.
- Send an extra February promotion to customers on Feb. 17 for Random Acts of Kindness Day.
February social media calendar ideas
Add these special February holidays and observances to your social media calendar to show your audience some love.
Feb 12: Super Bowl Sunday
Share your and your team member’s Super Bowl Sunday plans and ask your audience to share theirs. The day after the Super Bowl, ask your audience what their favorite commercial was. #superbowl2023
Feb 14: Valentine’s Day
Socialize your Valentine’s Day specials or promotions on your social sites. Target those last-minute shoppers with a special gift basket giveaway. #valentinesday
Feb 20: National Love Your Pets Day
Who can resist a picture of some cute pets?! Share pictures of your pets and ask your audience to share theirs and tag your business. #loveyourpetsday
This month marks the end of Q1, so take a look back at your marketing objectives and goals for 2023 to see what needs to be adjusted and what’s on track. Remember: This is just a template for your marketing calendar, so you can make tweaks as needed to make sure you’re reaching your growth goals.
March marketing and promotion ideas
- Run a St. Patrick Day special–17% off services or products. (Get more St. Patrick’s Day marketing ideas plus March email subject lines here!)
- March is Women’s History Month, so share inspirational quotes from inspirational women on your social media pages.
- March is also National Reading Month, so get into #BookTok and #Bookstagram by sharing what you and your employees are reading.
- Celebrate your employees this month by giving them a special incentive or a paid day off–your employees are the backbone of your business!
- Spruce up the About page on your website to make sure it accurately conveys your brand story.
March social media calendar ideas
Mar 3: Employee Appreciation Day
Shout out your employees on your social media pages with a picture or video highlighting each one and sharing why they’re special. #employeeappreciation
Mar 14: Pi Day
Share pictures of you and your team enjoying some pie to celebrate Pi Day. If you don’t offer pie, make sure to tag your local bakery in your post to support another local business! #piday
Mar 20: International Happiness Day
Ask your audience to share what makes them happy–it can be a picture, a post, or a video. You can even turn it into a contest and choose one winner to make extra happy! #internationaldayofhappiness
PS: Spring officially starts on March 20! Try these spring marketing and advertising ideas to give your business a boost.
Start the second quarter off strong with these ideas to add to your April marketing calendar.
April marketing ideas
- With many schools on Spring Break this month, consider a Spring Break sale or promotion. (Make sure to send an email about it! Get April email subject lines here.)
- Run a Tax Day sale to entice shoppers to spend their refunds with you–or to help those who just paid their taxes save.
- Spring clean your web presence by doing a quick search for your brand name and taking note of what shows up–does everything look good?
- Try your hand at some Easter marketing and promotion ideas to get business hoppin’.
- April is National Volunteer Month, so gather your employees and volunteer with a local organization. Make sure to share pictures on your social sites!
See how your web presence really stacks up with our free website grader!
April social media calendar ideas
Start the month off right away on social media with April Fool’s Day and then end it strong by highlighting Earth Day on your social calendar.
April 1: April Fool’s Day
If your business is into pranks, post the aftermath on your social sites. Ask your audience the best prank they’ve pulled–or had pulled on them. #aprilfools
(We have more April Fool’s social media posts for you here!)
April 13: National Scrabble Day
For all those word lovers, celebrate this fun holiday by sharing the best Scrabble word you’ve played–or by sharing some unique Scrabble-approved words your audience can steal. #nationalscrabbleday
April 22: Earth Day
Celebrate Earth Day by sharing ideas for sustainability, pictures of you and your team volunteering with a local clean-up, or how your business contributes to restoring our earth year-round. #earthday
Get more April social media holidays and ideas here!
Hopefully, it’s starting to warm up where you are, so it’s time to break out some new ideas to test as part of your May marketing calendar.
May marketing and promotion ideas
- Take some time to make sure you’ve responded to all your business’s reviews so far this year.
- Also, use this month as a chance to refresh your social pages. Do your profile and cover photos look on brand? Are your business descriptions updated?
- If you’re near a college, offer a special student discount before school gets out for the semester.
- Launch a customer loyalty program if you don’t already have one to reward your customers and keep them coming back.
- Consider partnering with a few local businesses for a “block party” to take advantage of nicer weather and get the word out about your business.
Related: Get May email subject lines to make your promotions pop this month!
May social media calendar ideas
This month is packed with holidays and observances, so your social media calendar should be in great shape. Here are some ideas to get you started.
May 5: Cinco de Mayo
If you’re celebrating, share your pictures on social media. Restaurants can share Cinco de Mayo party recipes. #cincodemayo
May 8: Mother’s Day
Shout out to all the moms on social media–share a special message, and include a picture with you and your mom, or you and your kids if you’re a mom! #mothersday
May 30: Memorial Day
Use quotes, images, and other posts to show your support for those who have lost their lives for our country. #memorialday
Keep the momentum rolling in the last half of 2023 with these June marketing ideas, promotions, and social media post suggestions.
June marketing calendar ideas
- We’re halfway through the year–are you on track to hit your business and marketing goals? Review the goals you set and adjust as needed.
- Run a summer sale or promotion to get more people to try out your business. Make sure to promote it with email marketing. (Try out one of these June email subject lines to increase opens!)
- Consider testing out a new marketing strategy in the last half of the year–research some options or talk to your marketing partner for ideas.
- Celebrate Best Friend’s Day on June 8 by running a buy-one-get-one or referral special so best friends can take advantage of your products or services.
June social media calendar ideas
Don’t let your social media sites go dark this summer–keep your calendar packed with these holidays and observances.
Jun 2: National Donut Day
Bring donuts for your team (and for your customers if you have a storefront!) and share pictures or videos of people enjoying them. If you got donuts from a local bakery, make sure to tag them in your social posts! #nationaldonutday
Jun 18: Father’s Day
Now, it’s time to highlight all the dads out there! Share a picture of you and your dad or you and your kids if you’re a dad and ask your audience to share how they’re celebrating. Or keep it casual and share your favorite dad joke. #fathersday #dadjoke
Jun 21: National Selfie Day
This is an easy one: Share your best selfie and ask your employees to share their selfies! #selfieday
Get more June social media ideas here.
PS: Summer starts June 21. Try these summer marketing ideas to make a splash this season!
Heat up your marketing calendar planning with these hot tips and creative marketing ideas for July.
July marketing and promotion ideas
- Run a special Fourth of July sale or promotion to get more people to visit your business this month. (Use these July email subject lines to help boost your promotions!)
- Closed on the Fourth of July or have adjusted hours? Make sure to update your hours on your website, your social media sites, and your local business listings!
- July is National Grilling Month–share your favorite recipes, grill safety tips, or the best grilling tools (and where to get them–locally!).
- Get in front of website visitors who haven’t yet converted by running remarketing campaigns this month.
July social media calendar ideas
July has more than just July 4th to highlight on your social sites. Use these ideas for your July social media calendar.
July 4: Independence Day
Share a simple Happy July 4th post with a nice graphic–or share pictures of how you’re celebrating and ask your audience to share theirs! #july4th
July 15: National Give Something Away Day
This is the perfect day for a Facebook or Instagram giveaway! Run a social media contest and choose a winner to give something away to. #givesomethingawayday
July 21: National Junk Food Day
Use the Poll feature on Facebook and Twitter to ask your audience about their favorite fast-food chain–or their favorite junk food item! #nationaljunkfoodday
As we get into the back half of the year, don’t let your marketing and promotions slip away. Use these August marketing ideas to capture those back-to-school searchers and end-of-summer customers.
August marketing ideas
- It’s the back-to-school season! Run a back-to-school promotion or contest to reach students and their parents.
- Don’t forget about social media–Any business can get in the back-to-school spirit on social media with the right back-to-school Instagram captions.
- It’s not too early to start thinking about your holiday marketing plan–outline your specials and promotions now and let your marketing partner know what you’re planning.
- Everyone likes a good pen or tote bag–consider giving out promotional materials to your customers to stay top-of-mind.
- To help meet your year-end goals, check in on your lead management system. Is it working for you? Or do you need to revisit some other options?
August social media calendar ideas
Use these August social media ideas to keep your social calendar packed all month long.
Aug 4: National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day
Share your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe–or your favorite place to buy them in your area and ask your customers to share theirs! If you enjoy any chocolate chip cookies today, make sure to share a picture on your social sites. #nationalchocolatechipcookieday
Aug 15: National Relaxation Day
Share your favorite tips for relaxing, a relaxation playlist, or a local business–like a spa–that helps you unwind. Spas–this is a great day for you to share testimonials from customers who you’ve helped relax or just an overview of what you offer. #nationalrelaxationday
Aug 17: National Nonprofit Day
Get out and volunteer at a local non-profit and share pictures on your social sites. If you can’t make it out to volunteer, share a round-up of your favorite non-profits. #nationalnonprofitday
September marks the end of Q3 and is a great time to look back at all you’ve accomplished so far in 2023. Use these marketing and promotion ideas to keep your September marketing calendar moving.
September marketing and promotion ideas
- Take a minute to plan out or confirm your Q4 marketing goals so you’re prepared to end the year in a strong position.
- Check-in to see how customers feel about your business by sending out a survey asking for feedback.
- Use this month to optimize your Google Business Profile so you can increase your chances of it showing up for local searches.
- Test some new fall promotions to get new customers this season.
- September is a busy month for moving–re-introduce your business to locals and reach new community members by sending out a direct mail campaign with a special discount.
September social media calendar ideas
September has a lot of holidays and observances you can use to plan your social media calendar.
Sept 4: Labor Day
Wish your social media audience a Happy Labor Day with a nice visual or share a round-up of local Labor Day events. #laborday
(Get more Labor Day social media posts here.)
Sept 23: First Day of Fall
Share your favorite fall pastimes, any fall events you have coming up, or recipes for your most-loved fall treats. #firstdayoffall
Sept 25: National One-Hit Wonder Day
Share a YouTube video of your favorite one-hit wonder and ask your audience to share theirs! #nationalonehitwonderday
Get more September social media holidays and ideas here.
As we enter October, it’s time to get your holiday marketing going and make sure your 2023 marketing calendar is set for the rest of the year.
October marketing calendar ideas
- Holiday shopping starts this month (we know, it seems early!)–make sure your holiday marketing is locked and loaded and maybe even running already.
- Do a quick search for your competitors–are they doing anything in their marketing you should try? Are they offering something you’re not? Think about how you can stand out from them either through positioning your business, ramping up your marketing, or changing up your product offerings.
- Find a local trunk-or-treat your business can sponsor or participate in.
- Run a Halloween social media contest to get new followers this #spookyszn.
October social media calendar ideas
Check out these October social media holidays and observances to help you create awesome social media content this month.
Oct 1: World Vegetarian Day
Share a recipe for your favorite vegetarian dish or spotlight local restaurants in your area with vegetarian options. Make sure to tag them in your posts! #worldvegetarianday
Oct 10: World Mental Health Day
Share social posts from reputable mental health resources on your social media pages to raise awareness for this cause. #worldmentalhealthday
Oct 31: Halloween
Share pictures of your employees dressed up for Halloween and anyone that visits in costume. Launch a poll to get to the bottom of whether people actually like candy corn. #halloween
Get our full list of Halloween social media ideas here.
Only two months left to finish 2023 out strong! Use these seasonal and holiday marketing ideas to capture customers.
November marketing and promotion ideas
- Do you have any seasonal products or services? Make sure to show them off this month.
- Add your business to the Shop Small map and make a plan to participate in Small Business Saturday this month.
- Check-in with your employees to confirm when or if anyone is planning to take off for the upcoming holidays so your scheduling is streamlined.
- Make sure to send holiday emails with your promotions, sales, and events. (Use these holiday email templates and subject lines.)
- Send appreciation messages to thank your customers for their business over the last year. (Use these customer appreciation ideas for inspiration!)
November social media calendar ideas
This is a busy time for social media. Keep your social media calendar on track with these November social media ideas!
Nov 11: Veterans Day
Promote any discounts you offer active military or veterans. Or share a simple post thanking veterans for their service. #veteransday
Nov 23: Thanksgiving
Share what you’re thankful for when it comes to your customers and your employees. Make sure to share any pictures of employee or team celebrations! #happythanksgiving
Get 50+ Thanksgiving social media ideas here!
Nov 25: Small Business Saturday
Promote your participation in Small Business Saturday on social! Share any sales, special deals, or events you’re holding, and spotlight other local businesses in your area. #smallbizsat
Time to end the year on a high note with these ideas to add to your marketing calendar!
December marketing calendar ideas
- Create a holiday gift guide for your customers with your products and services as well as related products and services from local businesses.
- Take a minute to update your holiday hours on your listings, website, and your social media sites. This will go a long way for customers!
- Finalize your marketing plan for 2024–what’s worked well this year? What do you want to accomplish next year?
- Ask your happy customers to leave you reviews. This will help you start off the new year on the right foot! Then make sure you’re responding to reviews as they come in!
December social media calendar ideas
There are plenty of holiday festivities and cheer to fill your social media calendar this month! Here are a few ideas.
(PS: Get our full list of December social media holidays and ideas here!)
Dec 5: International Volunteer Day
December is a great month for volunteering. Take part in this day by volunteering with your favorite organization or sharing local volunteer opportunities for your audience to take part in. #volunteerday
Dec 15: Ugly Sweater Day
Have your team wear their ugliest holiday sweaters and share pictures on social media. Consider giving a discount to any customers who come in wearing their best ugly sweater! #uglysweaterday
Dec 31: New Year’s Eve
Share your New Year’s resolutions with your social media audience and ask them to share theirs! #nye2023
And, here are even more holiday social post ideas:
- The Only Holiday Facebook Ideas You’ll Need This Season (with Examples!)
- Holiday Hashtags & Instagram Post Ideas Galore
- Holiday Instagram Giveaway Ideas & Examples
- Christmas Social Media Posts & Slogans for Your Merriest Marketing Yet
- Clever & Catchy Holiday Marketing Slogans
A full year of tips for your 2023 marketing calendar
Whew! Now you’re all set with ideas and inspiration to build out your 2023 marketing calendar. Make sure to get our free guide for even more tips, observances, and holidays to help you plan your marketing campaigns, promotions, and sales.
Cheers to a very happy and prosperous 2023!